My Music (Listen with quality headphones)

Sunday 11 August 2013

Errata for the book "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition"

I have been reading "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition" (ISBN 1-59257-403-3) and really like it, but I thought I should start composing a list of errata (errors) that I've found while reading it.

UPDATE 20130811

Erratum #1

On page 42, it reads:
"The less-used diminished seventh chord takes a diminished triad and adds a minor seventh on top."

A diminished seventh chord in the key of C, with B as root, according to the book's text, would (incorrectly) be:
B D F A
but this is actually the B half-diminished 7th chord.

A Bdim7 actually has the notes:
B D F Ab

So, to avoid confusion/error for "idiots" to music composition, in my opinion, it should read:
"The less-used diminished seventh chord is composed of a diminished triad and a diminished seventh interval."


to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My content is under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. I work hard to publish relevant and useful information in order to help people learn difficult things and find solutions to their problems, so please attribute me if you reuse my content elsewhere.