My Music (Listen with quality headphones)

Monday 29 July 2013

MIDI dynamics note velocity values for ppp (piano pianissimo), pp (pianissimo), p (piano), mp (mezzo-piano), mf (mezzo-forte), f (forte), ff (fortissimo) and fff (forte fortissimo)

MIDI velocity values range from 0-127. According to the Apple Logic Pro 9 User Manual for MIDI Step Input Recording, here are the velocity values for the eight traditional dynamic (volume) indicators:
ppp: 16
pp: 32
p: 48
mp: 64
mf: 80
f: 96
ff: 112
fff: 127

where ppp is the softest and fff is the loudest.

UPDATE
I just updated the Wikipedia Dynamics (music) page with this info and an external link reference to the Apple Logic Pro 9 documentation.

1 comment:

  1. ffff, fffff would of course be 127 as well, with no difference between them and fff. pppp could be perhaps 8, and ppppp 4.

    ReplyDelete

My content is under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. I work hard to publish relevant and useful information in order to help people learn difficult things and find solutions to their problems, so please attribute me if you reuse my content elsewhere.