My Music (Listen with quality headphones)

Monday 1 July 2013

Music Theory: what's the correct notation for writing a major 7th, 11th, 13th? M vs MA (or Ma) vs maj vs Δ

According to Ricci Adams, it's M:
Major seventh chords are abbreviated with a capital 'M' and a 7.

Sibelius (version 5) uses MA.

The wikipedia page "Popular_music_symbols#Chord_quality" says the following:
M or maj (and Δ is sometimes used for major), where M is the short version and maj is the long version.

So the possibilities look like this:
CM7
CMA7
Cmaj7
CΔ7

No comments:

Post a Comment

My content is under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. I work hard to publish relevant and useful information in order to help people learn difficult things and find solutions to their problems, so please attribute me if you reuse my content elsewhere.